The Direct Services Professional (DSP) is directly responsible for creating an environment that reflects the mission of and completes with the standards of the Philadelphia’s Office of Supportive Housing (OHDS). The DSP provides direct service to the residents referred to Prevention Space, as well as provide assistance and information to individuals from external agencies. Essential is the ability to provide information and assist in basic needs to the residents in a calm, consistent manner. Documentation of services along with minor cleaning and upkeep of the common area is expected.
This is a temporary, yet long-term position.
- Support new residents as they enter into the program.
- Support assigned residents daily through observation, communication and interaction. Report concerns to assigned Care Manager.
- Document messages, activities, observations and other information in logbook, related forms, and other documentation to promote identification of daily activities, incidents, physical plant, medication, and other related areas to promote accountability and accuracy of daily events.
- Conduct safety checks and be observant of residents on your assigned floor to promote safety of the environment, residents, visitors, and staff.
- Drive 16 or 7 passenger van and transport residents when van is available.
- Monitor medication, complete narcotic count, and review medication sheet for each resident to promote proper dosage of residents who have medication.
- Intervene in crisis situations ad document all critical behaviors to promote safety of the environment.
- Participate in shift change duties, fire drills, and Shelter in Place drills along with any other evacuation or emergency incidents to promote the safety of residents and staff.
- Provide support to encourage resident’s efforts to accomplish tasks assigned by case management and be available to support resident individually as needed to promote right living, accountability, and cooperation..
- Serve as a liaison among the residents, care managers, advocates, service providers, OHS, and employees to promote support and a voice for the residents.
- Participate in all meetings and training to promote sharing of information, new ideas, and upward mobility
- Read and review all manuals, resident orientation manual, and corporate policies to promote complete understanding of standards and requirements of the program and organization.
- Comply with all other duties as directed by the Executive team to promote direction and additional job functions as required and needed.
- 1-2 years of shelter or residential experience
- High school Diploma or equivalent (GED)
The ideal candidate should have excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and team- oriented skills; with attention to detail and the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment when needed.
Other qualifications include:
- Trauma competent
- Ability to read and write clearly
- Computer literate
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and shelter setting
- Ability to join a team and become a self-directed employee for daily tasks
- Maintain ethical behavior as well as demonstrate integrity while performing job functions.
The City of Philadelphia has partnered with RHD to develop the COVID-19 Prevention Program, which is a non-congregate site for individuals who are at higher risk of COVID-19 according to the CDC and FEMA. The program is open to those who are 65 years old or older, or have a compromised immune system, or have an underlying respiratory condition, or have a chronic illness, and live in a congregate setting. Individuals will be permitted to stay until the threat of infection has been minimized at their existing congregate site or until another residence is available.
Resources for Human Development is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran, or disability status.