The Direct Service Professional (DSP) is directly responsible for creating an environment that reflects the mission of RHD's Fernwood and complies with the standards of the Philadelphia's Office of Supportive Housing (OSH). The DSP provides direct service to the participants referred to RHD Fernwood as well as providing assistance and information to individuals from external agencies. Essential is the ability to provide information and assist in basic needs to the participants in a calm, consistent manner. Documentation of service along with minor cleaning and upkeep of the common areas is expected. A commitment to the RHD Values should be demonstrated as job duties are performed.
This is an on-call position.
- RHD employees applying for this position cannot be FT at another RHD site.
- This position is for the 2nd & 3rd shifts.
- Provide orientation and intake paperwork with participants and assist volunteers and volunteer groups within RHD/Fernwood
- Provide support to encourage resident's effort to accomplish tasks and be available to meet with residents individually as needed
- Answer phone and document messages, activities, observations and other information in logbook, related forms, shift summaries, and other documentation
- Serve as a liaison among the residents, case managers, advocates, service providers, OHS and staff
- Participate in shift changes, fire drills, and Shelter-in-Place drills along with any other evacuation or emergency incidents to ensure the safety of our residents and staff.
- Medication Monitoring (monitor residents taking medication, counting narcotic medication and reviewing medication books).
- Conduct safety checks and be observant in and outside the facility to ensure safety and appropriate behavior.
- Intervene in crisis situation and document all critical incidents (Incident Report must be completed within 24 hours of the incident).
- Manage the completion and submission of RHD/Fernwood's daily census to Office of Supportive Housing.
- Conduct bed check and collect signatures for the OHS Monthly Individual sign-in log.
- Read and review resident related forms and policies
- Maintain documentation surrounding residents, physical site, medication, and other related areas.
- Monitors residents' compliance with Office of Homeless Services (OHS) Standards, Resources for Human Development (RHD) and RHD/Fernwood's Policies and Procedures.
- Identifies areas for improvement throughout the program and in staff development to meet OHS expectations, residents needs and basic training requirements
- As required in order to support the care of residents as well as to foster an atmosphere of dignity and respect as outlined in the RHD Values
- At least 1 year experience working in a shelter or a residential site.
- Experience working with the homeless population preferred
- High School diploma or GED
- Ability to read and write clearly
- Computer literate and able to utilize data management software packages such as Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), Lawson Payroll System, and Microsoft Office Word.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced office and shelter environment
- Ability to work in a team environment to support and effectively manage a large shelter as well as addressing residents' individual needs.
RHD Fernwood Emergency Housing program provides emergency housing to 65-130 single men. During their stay the residents will be focused on housing, employment, health, community involvement, and education. The primary goal of the program will be for residents to obtain housing in a short period of time.
Resources for Human Development is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran, or disability status.