Primary Focus: The Direct Support Professional is responsible to help the indivdiuals served by RHD Lifesharing to develop the skills necessary to achieve success and satisfaction in the community. Every individual has unique strengths, needs and preferences that must be considered and supported in all interactions. Appropriate, effective interactions are based on unconditional positive regard, and promote respect and dignity. Rather than just taking care of the individual, the team’s interactions are designed to promote the individual’s ability to live happily, healthily and safely in the community. A team approach maximizes the creativity of each team member and the use of available resources. RHD Lifesharing operates within a team approach with the indivdiuals we serve as the heart of the team.
· A high school diploma or GED is required
· One year experience in the human service, aging, home health care, or intellectual developmental disability
· A valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License is required
· Must be at least 18 years old
Characteristics: Staff must possess a strong work ethic, good interpersonal skills, and good oral, and written communication skills. Basic computer skills are needed. Staff should be reliable,timely, consistent, flexible and willing to learn. Staff must have sound judgement and the ability to make quick decisions in the event of an emergency or crisis.
· Interact and communicate with your co-workers, other agencies and professionals in a respectful, and cooperative manner
· Adhere to program schedules, routines and procedures
· Arrive for all shifts on time and in an alert manner
· Instruct and support the individual to develop skills necessary for happy, healthy and safe integration into the community
· Provide personal care as needed to assist the individual, this may include bathing, toileting, tooth brushing and other personal care
· Implement supportive interventions at all times
· Accompany and support the individual during community activities, and initiate and foster meaningful and lasting interactions with other members of the community
· Develop resources and activities to promote positive community involvement
· Actively adhere to the ISP
· Assist the team to assess current skill levels
Ensure that all supervision needs of the individual as outlined in their ISP are maintained all times.
·Actively participate in all trainings, staff meetings, supervisory sessions and other meetings as required. Arrive for all trainings and meetings on time and in an alert manner
Resources for Human Development is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran, or disability status.
A high school diploma or GED
Must be 18 years of age
Valid Pennsylvania drivers license